Submitted by admin on Tue, 04/08/2014 - 23:31
Falling into debt due to the high costs of medical care is very common. An unexpected medical emergency might crop up anytime. Lack of medical insurance and the high cost of medical care also significantly add to these debts.
If you are in a similar plight, with huge medical bills taking a toll on your finances, then do not worry. Some ways can help you tackle your hefty medical bills successfully.
How can you deal with hefty medical debts?
- Review every bill you receive: Medical bills often contain errors, which can sometimes be significant. You can be overcharged, for treatments you received or even charged for those you did not receive. If you spot any discrepancy, immediately contact the hospital or medical facility and get your doubts clarified. Also, negotiate medical bills with health care service providers. Often negotiation can save you at least $100.
- Contact your health insurance company: Check your insurance plan and contact your insurance company to verify the portions of the medical bill that your insurance should cover. Your insurance company will determine if you are wrongly charged for procedures, medications, or if the bill was submitted too late for payment. Sometimes you may need to "push" the company to obtain help with medical bill payment.
- Express your need for bill settlement: Some hospitals will forgive a considerable portion of your medical debt if you express your need for help with paying the bill. You must contact the hospital authority as early as possible so that things do not get out of hand, and you can explain your financial hardship convincingly to get your appeal approved. The hospital authority will always take your financial condition into account when figuring how much they’re willing to forgive.
- Contact your healthcare providers: If you need serious help with paying medical bills, you can also contact the hospital and learn about the payment plans they offer. Almost all doctor's organizations and hospitals will work with you in setting up a payment plan to suit your needs. These plans usually require you to pay a minimal monthly payment with very little, or no interest. Do not hesitate to inquire about such options. Every hospital has a billing accountant with whom you can discuss your bill.
- Look for free or low-cost health care for your kids: Every state offers assistance programs that provide low priced or free health coverage for children, infants, and teens whose families fall below a certain income level. You can avail yourself of such assistance and get your bill lowered.
- Go for free or discounted prescription drugs: There are countless ways to get your prescription costs reduced. Many local governments provide free discount cards that can help you save up to 50% on generic drugs. Low priced generic drugs can be a great substitute for expensive branded drugs. There are also assistance programs that offer free medication.
If you’re unable to tame your medical debt on your own, then it’s better you get professional help from OVLG. We can help you consolidate or settle your medical debts as per your convenience. Just call at our Toll Free Number - (800)-530-OVLG.