my mom's credit card debt was settled at less than the owed debt. She passed away in 2012. I received a 1099c now for the forgiven amount. Had almost no asset. Do I need to file with the IRS on her behalf or pay anything? Will it affect my report?

1 Answers
-8 votes
Vote up!
Vote down!

You shouldn't have opened her mail in the first place, and should have returned it back to the sender marking that the recipient is deceased. Anyway, do so now.

It wasn't your debt or your settlement. You don't need to pay anything or report it even. And, it won't affect your credit report.

Ask Question

Waterfall approach to debt free ™

Legal debt relief methodology that works based on your financial conditions. Learn more »

Last Updated on: Fri, 8 Jun 2018

BBB-A--Rating TrustLink logo TrustLink logo