A debt collection agency has asked for an inflated balance on an outstanding debt, but failed to provide valid documentation in dupport of their claim. When I questioned the balance, the collection agency refused to provide with a valid reply. I think this is a violation of the FDCPA? Could they be penalized for this? What kind of lawyer should I approach to deal this kind of case?

1 Answers
-3 votes
Vote up!
Vote down!

According to the FDCPA, a debt collection agency can never misrepresent the debt amount to the debtor. However, did you validate the debt legally? Did they refuse to validate the debt after your letter? If yes, you’re not required to pay off the debt. Anyways, consult a consumer lawyer for specific information.

Ask Question

Waterfall approach to debt free ™

Legal debt relief methodology that works based on your financial conditions. Learn more »

Last Updated on: Fri, 8 Jun 2018

BBB-A--Rating TrustLink logo TrustLink logo