I purchased a phone from a Verizon authorized dealer. Though I returned the purchase within the 30 day period with no penalty, the dealer didn’t update my return causing Verizon to believe that I still owe to them. Verizon has reported this debt to the credit bureaus and since then this has been hurting my credit score. I do have original purchase and return receipts and both Verizon and the dealer admit that they were wrong. Can I sue them?

1 Answers
6 votes
Vote up!
Vote down!

Thanks for leaving your question! You're in a win-win situation right now. So don't get frustrated or angry. Yes, you can file a lawsuit against Verizon for reporting false information on your credit report. But a lawsuit involves expenses, which means you need to shell a few extra dollars from your wallet. Plus you need to find an experienced attorney as well. It is really a costly and time consuming affair.

Lawsuit should be the last option for you. There are a couple of steps you can take to remove the false information from your credit report. But before I start explaining those tips, let me ask you a few questions first:

  • How have you interacted with Verizon and the authorized dealer?
  • Has Verizon admitted its mistake in writing?

It is extremely important to interact with the dealer and Verizon in writing since it will help you prove your case. But since you have the original documents, so don’t worry. You’re already in a better position.

Now let’s talk about the steps you need to take since a simple mistake by Verizon is hurting your credit score. And you shouldn’t suffer because of someone else’s mistake.

Here are the few steps that may help to cleanse your credit report and elevate your credit score as well:

You can use this sample letter to serve your purpose - https://www.ovlg.com/letters/inaccurate-credit-report.html

  • Dispute the Verizon account with the credit bureau. As per the Fair Credit Reporting Act, credit reporting agencies are bound to rectify mistakes within 30 days of receiving the dispute letter.
  • Get the sample dispute letter - https://www.ovlg.com/letters/disputing-account-status.html
  • If you don’t want to dispute the account, then send a written request to credit bureaus for removing the inaccurate information from your credit report.
  • Verizon has already admitted that it’s their mistake. So if the credit bureau doesn’t remove the negative information from your credit report, contact Verizon directly instead of sending a mail. Ask them to request credit bureau to rectify the error. If possible, then visit Verizon’s office and have a talk with the customer service department. May be it’ll help to solve the problem fast.
  • If both the creditor and the credit bureau don’t help you, then call at the toll free number of the credit reporting agency. This should be your last step before filing a complaint against both of them.

How to file a complaint - Verizon and credit bureau

Verizon: Report your complaint to the FTC or the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. You can easily submit your complaint at www.consumerfinance.gov. There is yet another thing you can do and that is report the matter to the State Attorney General.

Credit bureau: You can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission against the credit bureau at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/Information#crnt&panel1-1. If this doesn’t help, then call at 877-382-357.

Finally, if nothing works in your favor, then go ahead and file a lawsuit. Remember, you can even sue Verizon for ‘actual damages’ such as attorney fees, court expenses, wage, etc. If this doesn’t give you satisfaction, then claim for ‘punitive damages’ as well. The court will decide the amount you can get for punitive damages.

Ask Question

Waterfall approach to debt free ™

Legal debt relief methodology that works based on your financial conditions. Learn more »

Last Updated on: Fri, 8 Jun 2018

BBB-A--Rating TrustLink logo TrustLink logo