Nowadays, many consumers fall prey to debt trap and reach out to debt settlement companies only to find out later that they have been scammed. Today, we come across a lot of debt settlement scams and most of the scams are a result of lack of information on the debtor’s end.
If you want to avoid being the victim of a scam, you should do your homework carefully before approaching any settlement company. Again, you should carefully investigate about any company or lawyer before you reach out to them for help or hire them.
Table of contents
- Tips to identify a scam debt settlement company
- Tips to choose a legitimate debt settlement company
- What are the 7 key grounds to trust OVLG
Tips to identify a scam debt settlement company
These days, it is very difficult for anyone to identify a scam debt settlement company. Therefore, if you want to trust a company with your money, check out the 3 tips mentioned below:
1) They should not try to reach: If a settlement company calls you too many times and tries hard to convince you to hire their services, or tries to hold back its name and address, then know that they are just trying to scam you out of your money.
2) Upfront fees are illegal: If a company insists you for upfront fees and does not seem bothered to help you get out of debt, then take this as a big red flag. It is worth mentioning here that in most states, charging upfront fees for debt relief services is illegal as per FTC telemarketing rules that took effect in September 2010.
3) There is no magic wand: If any debt settlement company says that they have the magic wand and can settle your debt for pennies on the dollar, simply avoid them.
Tips to choose a legitimate debt settlement company
Once you’re aware of the ways to identify a scam debt settlement company, you should try to hire a legitimate one in order to become debt free. Below are some ways to avail a valid debt relief firm:
1) Information is key: Gather as much information as possible about the firm you are planning to hire. Collect data about the company from the Attorney General's Office and from the Federal Trade Commission to check the legitimacy of the firm. Also, check with the BBB to see if there is any complaint registered against the firm, and if they have resolved or tried to resolve those complaints. Although most of the firms have complaints filed against them.
2) Check out for hidden fees: Go through the fine print of the agreement carefully before getting enrolled with a debt settlement company. Again, go through the terms and conditions thoroughly and make sure there are no hidden fees.
3) Consult and get advice: Consult with your friends and relatives, or with those people who recently went through a debt settlement program. Your friends and colleagues can guide you avail a trustworthy debt settlement firm and avoid the scam entities.
What are the 7 key grounds to trust OVLG
You might ask why you should trust Oak View Law Group. You might question how OVLG is different from other debt settlement firms. Well, below are some facts that you could consider before you put your trust on OVLG:
- Being a law firm, OLVG strictly adheres to the rules and guidelines of the settlement industry.
- OVLG offers an FTC compliant fee structure and does not charge any upfront fees.
- OVLG follows complete transparency in its work methodology for the sake of the clients.
- OVLG has already taken effective initiatives to put an end to collection scams.
- OVLG has 100% no question asked money back policy if any client is dissatisfied with the service.
- OVLG holds a good number of authentic video reviews in its credit.
- Unlike any other debt settlement company, OVLG offers a 'no obligation free initial debt counseling'.