Recently came to know that my ex-spouse will be filing for bankruptcy. Chapter -7, to be precise. He owes me around $15,000, which I was entitled from the asset division during the divorce. I’m worried that I’ll lose on my share if he files bankruptcy. Is it so? What can I do then?

1 Answers
1 vote
Vote up!
Vote down!

You don’t have to do anything at all, since you say that he’s filing Chapter 7. Property division in divorce can’t be discharged with a bankruptcy.

In case it’s a Chapter 13 or if he later converts into one, you may need to seek legal help, since Chapter 13 allows discharge of property settlement debts.

Ask Question

Waterfall approach to debt free ™

Legal debt relief methodology that works based on your financial conditions. Learn more »

Last Updated on: Fri, 8 Jun 2018

BBB-A--Rating TrustLink logo TrustLink logo